When inhaled in large amounts, carbon monoxide can be highly noxious. Because it has no smell and can’t be seen, homeowners need to know how to detect leaks in their homes. The longer a person is exposed to this toxic gas, the more damage it can cause on their health.
This gas is produced during incomplete combustion of carbon-based fuels. Common sources of this gas in our homes include water heaters, power generators, stoves and space heaters.
What Are the Symptoms of CO Poisoning?
Symptoms vary depending on your home’s level of carbon monoxide, as well as your length of exposure. These include;
- Nausea and vomiting
- Hearing loss
- Blurred vision
- Disorientation and confusion
- Headache and dizziness
How to Detect Carbon Monoxide
A carbon monoxide detector can be helpful in determining the CO levels in your home. Wall socket detectors can protect you from high levels, but they can’t measure the exact concentration of CO in your home.
Additionally, CO detectors don’t set off their alarms when they detect low levels. By the time it builds up, your family might already have been exposed to significant levels of CO. The best instrument to use in detection is a portable CO monitor because it has a digital readout. This device can be tested regularly by exposing it to low CO levels. This way, you’re positive it still works.
You can also check your fireplace for soot accumulation. If combustion is not taking place properly, you’ll find soot on the inside of your fireplace. Routine inspection of your water heater, fireplace and other home appliances is necessary for your health and peace of mind. Yellow flames emanating from gas appliances should also be examined. The flame should ideally be blue in color. Therefore, yellow flames could mean there’s a CO leak.
For more information about carbon monoxide poisoning, you can get in touch with Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing. We’ve been operating in the Greater Cleveland area since 1935.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Creations/Shutterstock”
One Response to “Effective Ways to Detect Carbon Monoxide in Your Oberlin Home”
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a realistic danger that many people fail to consider– great tips for preventing a very unnecessary (and potentially fatal) accident!