A quality furnace is necessary to maintain a comfortable home and manageable heating bills through the heating months. If the performance of your furnace was dismal last winter, brush up on the latest furnace systems, features and installation procedures so that you’re prepared for the cost of furnace installation, rather than being pressed to make quick and potentially costly decisions.
Cost of Furnace Installation
The cost of furnace installation largely depends on the furnace features you choose, possible venting modifications, and the condition of your ductwork system. Following are the basic steps for a cost-effective installation and, equally or more important, long-term furnace operating costs:
- An HVAC contractor measures the heating load of your home using HVAC industry best practices (Manual J load calculation).
- The venting system is inspected for integrity and compatibility. Many new furnaces utilize sidewall venting, which is safer and more efficient.
- For best results, ask your HVAC contractor to perform an energy evaluation of your home to show where, if any, air leaks and insulation deficiencies exist. Sealing your home’s envelope helps your new furnace run more efficiently, and helps you stay more comfortable and save on energy bills year-round.
- The ductwork system is inspected for air leaks and insulation. The size of the air ducts and run-outs to each room should be measured, too. You can only enjoy maximum benefit from your new furnace if your air ducts are correctly designed.
- Even if you are not quite ready to upgrade, research furnace features so you know which system is best for your needs. Today’s furnaces offer multi-stage blowers and valves for precise heating. Dual heat-exchangers deliver higher AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) than ever before.
- Add-on components and features deliver optimal home automation and comfort. WiFi thermostats provide complete control of indoor environmental conditions anywhere your smartphone can go. A zoning system will deliver heating in the zone or zones you want exactly when you need it.
Keep in mind that the true cost of furnace installation is the price, installation, maintenance and heating bills for life. For best results in the Greater Cleveland area, please contact us at Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Cleveland, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnace installation and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
For those Do it Yourselfers who would rather take control of your own indoor comfort, you can shop our online store for replacement parts, products and accessories!
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Maxx-Studio/Shutterstock”