Do you struggle with allergies that don’t subside, even when you take medication and stay indoors? Have you recently been diagnosed with asthma, or suffered from a cold that just wouldn’t go away? When you don’t have an air cleaning system that properly ventilates and filters the air in your home, it can affect your health in chronic, debilitating ways. The cause of your allergy symptoms very likely could be poor indoor air quality.
If you have young kids, pets or family members with pre-existing health problems, it’s especially important to protect their vulnerable lungs. A wheezing cat or sniffling child might be reacting to a fixable problem, and indoor allergies might exacerbate an existing medical condition more than necessary. Common symptoms of an allergic reaction to everyday indoor pollutants include:
- Unusual skin rashes
- Asthma symptoms such as shortness of breath, coughing or wheezing
- Congested nose and throat
- Itchy, red, watery or swollen eyes
- Itchy throat or ears
Once you pinpoint the source of your problem, you can eliminate these symptoms completely. The majority of indoor allergy symptoms are caused by one of these six allergens:
- Pollen – outdoor pollen comes indoors on your shoes, pets, etc.
- Pet dander – sticks to clothes, carpet, etc.
- Dust mites – insects so small you need a microscope to see them
- Cockroaches – their saliva and feces are linked to asthmatic symptoms
- Mold – showers, tubs and sinks are prime suspects, but so are basements and carpet
- Cigarettes – smoke is more of a pollutant than an allergen, but the effect of second-hand smoke can be much, much graver
Luckily, HVAC professionals have a lot of experience dealing with household allergens. The solution could be as simple as replacing and/or upgrading an air filter for your cooling or heating system, but if the problem has gone on for a long time, a thorough system inspection and possibly a duct cleaning might be necessary.
For more information about indoor air quality in the greater Cleveland area, please contact us at Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing. The air you breathe every single day should be as clean as possible, and we’re qualified to help you fight allergens and pollutants with our unparalleled installation and maintenance services.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Cleveland, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about allergy symptoms and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
For those Do it Yourselfers who would rather take control of your own indoor comfort, you can shop our online store for replacement parts, products and accessories!
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Leigh Prather/Shutterstock”