Home cooling and heating systems are a big investment for homeowners who – whether by choice or necessity – upgrade to new equipment. You may buy the best cooling or heating system available, but making sure you have the right HVAC contractor can mean the difference between paying for a professional job that provides years of comfortable living or wasting thousands of dollars, your patience and possibly your family’s safety.
It’s essential that a contractor is well trained, has hands-on experience with all types of heating and cooling systems, their installation and maintenance, and can deal with any possible safety issues in such systems. Prepare yourself by researching local HVAC companies. Ask friends and neighbors for references, read a company’s Better Business Bureau rating, and check how long they’ve been serving the Greater Cleveland area.
Next, ask a potential HVAC contractor several pertinent questions before you sign a contract.
- While most states require certification and/or licenses for HVAC contractors, do your own research on such requirements in Ohio and ask the contractor for any applicable credentials, such as being NATE (North American Technician Excellence) certified.
- For installations and serious repairs, schedule a home inspection that includes an examination of your heating and cooling systems, and an explanation of the inspection results and your options. Make sure the contractor is experienced with your current system or one you plan to install.
- Ask for an estimate of the annual operating cost of the HVAC system(s) involved and the different energy-efficiency options of different units.
- Find out if the company carries insurance and offers warranties on equipment and follow-up maintenance or repair services. Some warranties have time or maintenance limits, so get that information up front.
- Finally, always get an estimate, in writing, for the type of work that’s needed, what parts or equipment will be provided, and when installation will start and be completed. Have each quote clearly explained.
For more expert advice on choosing an HVAC contractor or any home-comfort concerns, please contact us at Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing. We have been serving the Greater Cleveland area for more than 75 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Cleveland, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about HVAC contractors and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
For those Do it Yourselfers who would rather take control of your own indoor comfort, you can shop our online store for replacement parts, products and accessories!
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “iQoncept/Shutterstock”