Finding a heating and cooling contractor in the Greater Cleveland area who will do the job right the first time can be challenging. You want a contractor whom you can trust, and also one who is professionally licensed and trained. This expertise and attention to detail can help you for years to come.
The Credentials Trifecta
First of all, make sure that the contractor you choose is licensed, bonded and insured. In case you don’t know what these terms mean in the context of HVAC work, here is a quick description of each:
- Licensed – For a contractor to be licensed, the company must prove that it holds the minimum bonding and insurance requirements required by the local and/or state government.
- Bonded – A bond will protect a customer in a situation where the contractor is unable to complete a job.
- Insured – Insurance will cover the customer from any liability over injuries or damage that may occur during a project.
To ensure that you’re getting the “best of the best,” only choose a technician who has been NATE certified (or a contractor who staffs NATE-certified techs). NATE (North American Technician Excellence) is a non-profit organization that tests and certifies HVAC and refrigeration technicians. Each technician goes through rigorous testing and can be certified in a number of categories. By choosing a certified contractor, you’ll know that your heating and cooling system will be well taken care of.
In addition to the above tips, here are a few more to keep in mind when seeking a heating and cooling contractor:
- Ask around – Referrals are a great asset that can help you zero in on a quality contractor in your area.
- Contact references – Once you’ve contacted an HVAC contractor, ask for a list of references to call for an opinion on the contractor’s work.
- Expect an evaluation – The first thing a reputable contractor will want to do is evaluate your home’s needs.
For more expert advice on finding a heating and cooling contractor, or any other home comfort questions, please contact us at Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing. We serve the HVAC and plumbing needs of the Greater Cleveland area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Cleveland, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about contractors and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
For those Do it Yourselfers who would rather take control of your own indoor comfort, you can shop our online store for replacement parts, products and accessories!
Image courtesy of Shutterstock