A home energy evaluation, also known as an energy audit or assessment, is a great way to evaluate your HVAC system’s performance and the effectiveness of the thermal envelope in your Northeast Ohio home. The best time to have an energy evaluation is during the fall, before you begin using your home’s heating system for the winter.
During this evaluation, a professional auditor will come to your home and perform a variety of tests. You should consider having an energy evaluation if:
- Your house feels too cool during winter or too hot during summer
- You have an indoor environment that is excessively humid or dry
- Your home seems dusty, or family members experience respiratory problems
- Your energy bills seem high, especially compared to neighbors
Your HVAC system should provide your home with proper ventilation, comfortable year-round temperatures and healthy indoor air. If this isn’t happening, a home energy evaluation can explain why.
During the audit, your technician will:
- Inspect Heating and Cooling Equipment. Your HVAC equipment should be inspected for signs of age, inadequate maintenance, improper installation and problems with venting. Your system’s air filtration capability will be checked to evaluate how well it removes airborne contaminants.
- Insulation Inspection. When your home is properly sealed and insulated, you can save as much as 20 percent on home heating costs. During an evaluation, your insulation levels will be checked and any defects will be identified. A thermal imaging test will help locate areas within your walls and attic that have poor insulation.
- Air Leakage Test. A blower door test will be used to analyze your home’s airtightness. This blower door test uses depressurization to discover where air leaks are happening, helping to determine whether or not your home is adequately sealed.
- Heat Gain/Loss Calculation. Many homes have heating and cooling equipment that is improperly sized. This can cause comfort issues and lead to high energy bills. Your technician will assess the capacity of your existing system, and whether a replacement is in order. Sometimes, the energy audit will result in enough improvements in energy efficiency that you can get away with a smaller HVAC system.
To schedule a home energy evaluation today, contact your local experts at Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing, serving the Greater Cleveland area for over 78 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Cleveland, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy evalutaionsand other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
For those Do it Yourselfers who would rather take control of your own indoor comfort, you can shop our online store for replacement parts, products and accessories!
Image courtesy of adirekjob/Shutterstock