With spring arriving in Cleveland, Ohio, it’s once again time to think seriously about heat pump maintenance.
Though you can do some things yourself to keep your heat pump running smoothly, a qualified HVAC technician should give it a maintenance tuneup at least once a year. He will inspect, clean, adjust and if necessary, repair the following areas to ensure that your heat pump will run safely and efficiently to keep you comfortable for the year ahead.
- Ductwork – make sure no obstructions are blocking proper airflow, check for and repair leaks, check insulation and add if necessary.
- Air filters – make sure they are properly installed, that they are the correct efficiency level for your system and replace if necessary.
- Motor and blower – check for damage, remove any buildup of dust or old lubricant, add fresh lubricant.
- Belts – make sure they are tight and not frayed or worn, tighten or replace as needed
- Wiring and electrical terminals – make sure all connections are tight and that there is no damage to the wires.
- Thermostat – check that it’s accurate.
- Refrigerant – check for leaks, and recharge if it’s low. Also, if the charge is low, check for leaks.
For many homeowners, money is tight, and it may seem that putting off your professional heat pump maintenance, or trying to do it yourself, is a way to save a few bucks. It’s not. Having a qualified technician maintain your heat pump will save you money by keeping your system running at peak efficiency and reduce the likelihood of an emergency repair call.
Take the time today to contact us at Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing. We have been serving the Cleveland area for 75 years and have expert technicians ready to serve you today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Western Cleveland, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heat pump maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
For those Do it Yourselfers who would rather take control of your own indoor comfort, you can shop our online store for replacement parts, products and accessories!
Image courtesy of Shutterstock