Just as the health of your heating and cooling systems depends on annual maintenance, plumbing system maintenance is crucially important as well. Maximize your investment in your home and put plumbing system maintenance at the top of your list this year. When you schedule this service, your technician will perform a system-wide inspection, which includes tasks such as these:
- Checking the main water supply valve. It’s important to open and close this valve periodically to ensure it doesn’t become stuck in the “on” position. The plumber will check its condition, too.
- Addressing plumbing pipe noises. Also called water hammer, noises that stem from supply pipes can be resolved by installing air chambers to anchor the pipes.
- Analyzing the water, a particularly important task if you use well water in your home.
- Cleaning faucets, removing sediment buildup on the aerators, or replacing them as necessary.
- Repairing leaks in faucets, replacing any washers as necessary, and smoothing out the washer seats.
- Inspecting pipes for evidence of deterioration, corrosion, rusting or leakages.
- Testing the toilets for leaks.
- Draining the water heater.
- Checking the safety of exhaust venting for the water heater or boiler.
- Inspecting the insulation installed around the tank of the water heater, making sure it’s not interfering with the system’s venting and other instruments.
- Testing the safety of the water heater or boiler’s flame, and checking the operating temperature.
- Checking the sump pump, if your home has one, to make sure it’s in good working condition to take care of heavy spring rains, and cleaning it.
Here are some tasks you can to do keep your plumbing system in good shape:
- Inspect the pipes that have insulation wrapped around them, ensuring they’re in good condition.
- Shut off the water supply to outdoor faucets in the fall, and let them drain before temperatures freeze.
- Store garden hoses indoors.
- Address plumbing leaks right away.
If you’d like to schedule an appointment for plumbing system maintenance, contact the local experts at Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing today. We serve homeowners in greater Cleveland with plumbing services, heating and cooling maintenance, and indoor air-quality solutions. Give us a call today or visit our website for more information about our plumbing maintenance plans and emergency repair service.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Western Cleveland, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about plumbing system maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
For those Do it Yourselfers who would rather take control of your own indoor comfort, you can shop our online store for replacement parts, products and accessories!
Image courtesy of Shutterstock