If you want the best from your heat pump over its long lifetime, stay on top of heat pump maintenance to keep it running smoothly and efficiently. You can provide some important maintenance yourself, relying on an HVAC professional for the technical service you need annually for adjustments.
- Check the air filter monthly for the indoor blower. This is one of the most important maintenance tasks you can perform. The filter is the first line of defense against higher operating costs and premature wear and tear. A dirty filter can cause the evaporator coil inside the blower to freeze over, which makes the whole system run longer. It can even result in a broken compressor.
- Clean the outdoor compressor/condensing unit from time to time. If you don’t use a bag to catch the grass clippings, the debris can collect on the exposed coils on the condenser, causing it to work harder to cool the refrigerant. Use a moderate spray from the hose to dislodge dust and debris. Make sure that vegetation or dead leaves don’t block the condenser, which also slows the cooling process.
Professional heat pump maintenance
HVAC contractors conduct a thorough inspection of your heat pump that include these steps, if not more, depending on your system:
- Measures the airflow going through the system.
- Inspects the ducts for tight seals.
- Checks the system pressure and if it’s low, looks for leaks in the coils and repairs before recharging the system.
- Cleans the evaporator coil and the condenser coil.
- Clears the drainpipe and the drain pan.
- Lubricates the motors and checks the belt.
- Verifies that the electrical connections are tight and uses a nonconducting lubricant, if needed.
- Tests the thermostat for proper operation.
The end result of heat pump maintenance is an appliance that operates with as much efficiency as possible. Professional maintenance can also reveal parts that need replacing, helping you avoid more serious breakdowns in the future.
If you’d like to learn more about heat pump maintenance, contact Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing. We’ve provided HVAC services in the Greater Cleveland area for more than 50 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heat pump maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing services Western Cleveland. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today! For those Do it Yourselfers who would rather take control of your own indoor comfort, you can shop our online store for replacement parts, products and accessories!