Northeast Ohio homeowners rely heavily on their air conditioners at this time of year, and even the most well maintained unit may have problems from time to time. While the occasional service call is inevitable, you may be able to solve some of the minor issues yourself, or at least isolate what the problem is. Take a look at our list of A/C troubleshooting tips before you arrange for a service technician:
Air conditioner won’t power on
- Check that both the indoor and outdoor units are on, and have power going to them.
- Make sure no fuses have been blown.
- Check the circuit breakers to verify they are in the on position.
- Have a look at the thermostat, to make sure it’s set correctly.
- Double check that the unit is turned on, and set to cool.
- Check the filter; it may need cleaning or changing.
- Inspect the air blower to ensure that it’s free of dirt and debris.
- Check that both the evaporator coils and the air handler are not iced over.
- Perform a visual inspection of your ductwork. Check for blockages, leaks or improper connections. In addition, ensure that all dampers are set to the open position.
Insufficient humidity control
- Ask yourself if the unit was ever properly sized for your home; it may be that it’s simply too large, and may need to be replaced with a smaller one.
- Inspect your ductwork, particularly the return vents. Ensure nothing is blocking them; if not, you may want to consider adding more to increase airflow.
- Verify that the unit is still cooling the air, and that it’s just the humidity that’s an issue.
For more A/C troubleshooting tips or to follow up on your own inspection, please call the experts at Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing. We have proudly served residents of the Greater Cleveland area for more than 77 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more A/C troubleshooting tips and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing services Western Cleveland. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today! For those Do it Yourselfers who would rather take control of your own indoor comfort, you can shop our online store for replacement parts, products and accessories!