Hiring an HVAC contractor can cause stress and worry for many homeowners. After all, it’s hard to know for sure what you’re getting yourself into if you take a contractor’s word at face value. They all claim to offer excellent service at unbeatable prices, but if they all did, there would never be unsatisfied customers… and customers are left unsatisfied all the time.
Here are seven helpful tips to help you take the guesswork out of hiring an HVAC contractor:
- Experience matters. Companies have longevity for a reason – they have a proven track record of customer satisfaction and quality service. Whenever possible, choose an HVAC contractor that has plenty of experience.
- Confirm licensure. Get the contractor’s state license number, and independently verify that the license is both valid and current.
- Ask for referrals. Any contractor who balks at providing you with referrals to satisfied past customers should be treated with suspicion.
- Follow up. Contact the people you were referred to and ask if they were happy with the work they had done. Find out if the contractor and his employees were courteous, and ask if they got the job done on time at the quoted price.
- Check with the BBB. See if there are any active complaints on file with the Better Business Bureau. A contractor with a lot of active complaints should be avoided.
- Get an estimate. Once you are satisfied that a contractor is on the up-and-up, get an itemized, written estimate.
- Put everything in writing. Remember, it’s not just the cost of the service that should be specified in the contract. You should also have the contractor confirm a date by which the project will be completed.
We at Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing make it easy for you to take the worry out of hiring an HVAC contractor. We’ve been providing residents of the greater Cleveland area with affordable, courteous and expert service for over 77 years. No matter what type of home comfort issue you’re facing, we have the skills and experience to help. To arrange service or ask questions, please contact us.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about hiring an HVAC contractor and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing services Western Cleveland. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today! For those Do it Yourselfers who would rather take control of your own indoor comfort, you can shop our online store for replacement parts, products and accessories!