Winter is just around the corner, and that means it’s almost time to shut down your air conditioning for the season. With that in mind, we have a few seasonal shutdown tips that can help you protect your outdoor unit this winter.
- Clear away debris. If old leaves and branches have accumulated on or around your condenser unit, remove them. Not only does debris add moisture, which can cause mold or freeze up in cold weather, but if it gets into your system, it can affect your air conditioner’s heat exchanger and cause unnecessary damage to your system.
- Hose it off. Once you’ve removed debris from around the unit, use a high-pressure hose to spray off any dirt that has settled in your system.
- Dry it off. A wet system is just an invitation for ice. After you’ve cleaned your unit, make sure you dry it thoroughly to prevent potential issues with freezing.
- Turn it off. Make sure the power on your system is off to ensure that it won’t run during the cold season. While you’re at it, shut off the water, if possible.
- Cover your system. Some outdoor units are protected by a small shelter. Other homeowners opt for a water-proof cover. No matter which method you choose to protect your system, just be sure that it will allow the system a little breathing room. This keeps moisture from building up under the cover and freezing when temperatures drop.
- Maintain. Keep an eye on outdoor unit. Don’t let water, snow or ice buildup on your cover. This puts unnecessary strain on your system and increases the likelihood of damage occurring.
With these seasonal shutdown tips, you should have little trouble protecting your air conditioner this winter season. If you have other questions about how you can prepare your household for the upcoming winter, speak to one of our trained technicians at Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing services Western Cleveland. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!