The federal government’s Energy Star program is an excellent resource that we often recommend to homeowners for information about energy efficiency. The site currently offers a handy online tool with localized energy savings tips for homeowners here in greater Cleveland and other parts of the country.
Just enter your zip code and details about your heating and cooling systems. In just a second or two, you’ll get energy efficiency home improvement suggestions tailored to our climate. The suggestions will help you save money on utility bills and enjoy a more comfortable home as well.
For example, residents in zip code 44035 who use a gas furnace, central air and gas water heater will get energy savings suggestions including:
- Air leaks – Eliminate them by caulking or weatherstripping doors, windows and around electrical outlets. Take care of any large leaks in attic areas, basements or crawlspaces.
- Duct system – Seal accessible leaks with duct mastic rather than duct tape. Hire a contractor to properly seal your duct system and test to see that the total leakage is 10 percent or less.
- Insulation – Add more using material with an R–value of 38 for the attic, R-18 for exterior walls and R-10 to R-13 for the basement or crawlspace.
- A/C and heating – Consider a new home comfort system if yours is more than 10 years old, doesn’t work efficiently, or needs frequent repairs.
- Water heating – Use an Energy-Star-labeled water heater, windows and light bulbs/lighting. Purchase a water heater rated at .62 EF or better.
- Programmable thermostats – Install one and set it properly; they are proven money and energy savers.
Please contact the pros at Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing with any questions about energy efficiency and home comfort. We’ll be happy to advise you or schedule a professional energy audit to find and prioritize all areas of improvement needed in your home. We can take care of most of the improvements for you, too.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing services Western Cleveland. To get started, check out our website.